Thursday 21 June 2012

Go the F*ck to Sleep




Day three of the 28 day scream-free parenting challenge.  It’s 12:50pm and I’ve failed today.  Failed yesterday too.  Both days have been because of Little Warrior’s day-time sleep.  He’s fought both of them.  And anyone out there who’s saying that he must be dropping his sleep can wash their mouths out with soap.

You see, I’m a classic case of belief versus reality.  My belief is that Little Warrior should drift quietly off to sleep at exactly midday, everyday, and sleep for two hours.  Everyday.  Without fail, if you don’t mind little man.  And any deviation (I mean ANY) sends me straight to Shitsville (do not pass Go, do not collect $200).  I understand that this is unrealistic, unfair and ridiculous.  Not to mention the fact that I'm basically setting him up for failure. Because who does the same thing, at the same time, for the same amount of time everyday?  Nobody!  And yet, this is my perception of what should be happening for Little Warrior.  Hey, I never said I liked it, I'm just being honest and telling you how it is.

I tried to do as Jackie Hall recommended.  Just like on Day one, I tried to change the way I look at the situation and simply view it as an opportunity for Little Warrior to learn that he can’t get what he wants.  Yes.  You can have some strawberries, but only when you wake up.  No.  You can’t have them in bed with you.   But today I just didn’t stick with it.  Today I just yelled at him to go to sleep (if you’re wondering, I didn’t swear at him), slammed the door and pretended to ignore the sound of him repeatedly hitting the door with both his hands.  Ace.  Way to go Mum.

It’s going to be a long 28 days.

Trying to re-learn old habits and old ways of thinking is going to be an uphill battle.  Primarily because you don’t even realise you’re doing it.  So actually catching yourself doing it, then consciously adjusting the view before reacting is going to take me a while.  But I’m working on it.

And in the meantime, I can enjoy the peace and quiet.  Now that he’s gone the f*ck to sleep ;)

Are you doing the challenge?  How are you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think :)