Thursday 24 May 2012

Heart-felt thanks

Our gift with the note

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about favourite childhood books. You can read the post here. My favourite childhood story was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

Anyway, I blogged about it – put it out into the blogosphere and found out other people’s favourite childhood stories.

Tiki Tiki Tembo, The Magic Faraway Tree, Snugglepot & Cuddlepie and Dr Doolittle all featured as people’s favourites. And someone out there shared the same favourite as me: The Giving Tree.

Fast-forward two weeks and I’m arriving home from picking up The Polynesian Princess from school. Hefting all the bags out of the boot, I check the mail and there’s a package addressed to all of us. Me, the Princess and the Little Warrior. Curious, I schlep all our gear into the house, unceremoniously dump it on the floor and open the package. And inside, is a copy of The Giving Tree accompanied with a note:

“When I discovered that our favourite childhood books were one and the same, but you didn’t have a copy, I thought “That just won’t do”.

The note went on to wish us much enjoyment out of reading this book. It was signed from a friend of mine. A friend I made less than a year ago, in one night under circumstances that can only be described as “happenstance”.

I can’t thank-you enough for the thoughtfulness and consideration of your gift. It brought tears to my eyes and Polynesian Princess begged me to read this story to her twice tonight. She thought it was the most beautiful story she’s ever heard.

So there you go – you and I will both pass this gorgeous story on to our children.

Hand on my heart. Thank-you.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think :)