Monday 20 February 2012

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to (part 2)...

It's done!  It's all done and dusted and I have emerged from the other side intact and still sane.  What a crazy week it has been!  For those who don't know, my Polynesian Princess and Little Warrior are one day apart.  Yup.  I know.

Anyhoo!  This year I acquiesed and allowed Polynesian Princess a teeny tiny little party in the park.  I figured if it's a park, it's not really a lot of work.   Joke's on me apparently...

The menu.  I went for old favourites honey joys:


And when I say old favourites, I mean "my favourites".

I tried a healthy route and made watermelon jelly shots.  Disaster.  I didn't consider how bland watermelon jelly could be, so in a desperate bid to make them a little more palatable I smothered the top with custard and put silver and pink cachous on the top.  Blech.


Needless to say, they weren't a hit.  Never mind, I just brushed it off and kept going.  There was plenty of that'll do's going on that day.

The centrepiece was the Dolly Varden cake that was requested (really??  it has to be THAT cake?).  I was pleasantly (PLEASANTLY) surprised at how reasonably simple this cake was.  Even for me it was super dooper easy.  After a little handywork with dolly's legs (see below), she actually fit in the cake.  I didn't go the fancy route and use a proper dolly varden doll (ie they're sold sans legs).  I figured I'd just saw her legs off and we were in business!


After icing her and smothering her dress in marshmallows, I was pleasantly surprised and Polynesian Princess was very happy with the result (well, WHEW!).


The games went off without a hitch, the little ones got to run around in the park like wild things and everyone had a ball.  And most importantly?  Momma didn't have a nervous breakdown.  In fact, it was the opposite.  I had a fantastic time.

I learnt a lesson through this whole process.  If people offer to help: LET THEM.  I finally, possibly for the first time, accepted help from people who offered and I must say, it helped me to be a lot more relaxed.  So thank-you to those friends.  You know who you are.

Here's a shot of "the spread".  Needless to say, 80% of it didn't get eaten.


And the pay-off?  Well - a happy little birthday girl, a tired little warrior, a group of contented little party-goers and a glass of "you've done a bloody good job Mummy" that night.


So here's cheers to all the parents out there who have been there, done that and bought the shirt.  May kids parties live on forever! xxx

1 comment:

Would love to hear what you think :)