Saturday 21 July 2012

Me and my girl






A few weeks ago, the Polynesian Princess and I found ourselves with a whole day to ourselves.  Little Warrior was in daycare, The Architect was at work and it was just the two of us.   I couldn’t remember the last time that had happened.  A Mummy-daughter day!

So I thought it would be nice to do something special.   We took the bus into the city and headed to Room with Roses in Brisbane Arcade.  It was a very cold morning in the mall and the wind felt like it was blowing through us as we headed up towards the arcade.  Polynesian Princess kept pointing to various little coffee nooks as we were walking saying “can’t we just go there?”, but no.  I was on a mission.  I knew where I wanted us to go and I was determined to at least try.  I had no idea whether we needed a booking, or if the place was still open.

As a younger adult, I remember wandering through Brisbane Arcade and knowing with utmost certainty that I couldn’t afford a button from Anthony Leigh Dower, let alone some lead from the Pen Shoppe.  But sitting atop all these glamorous stores was a little café that I had always wanted to go to.  I never went though, and I think it was because I assumed it would be too expensive for little ol’ me.  Better for me to head downstairs to the KFC that used to sit underneath all these gorgeous shops, safe in the knowledge that I could afford a meal down there.

But this day, I was determined to go to this cafe.  And go we did.   It was still there, we didn’t need a reservation and it was everything that I had imagined it to be.  Serene, peaceful and warm.  We had tea, a mini-cino and one raspberry scone.  The scone was $9.95 and even though I thought that was expensive for a scone, I was determined to have the whole Mummy-daughter experience.  But the scone was huge, almost a brick!  And it was delicious – just delicious.  The Polynesian Princess just adored it.  There was roses on every table and she thought this was divine.  Being the “all things tea lover” that I am, I adored the silver teapot and strainer.

The Polynesian Princess wanted to play “guess who I am” while we waited for our scones.  Her clues were “it’s beautiful, it’s loving, and it looks after me”.  When she pointed at me and said “you Mummy!”, the whole Mummy daughter morning was complete.

I want this to be a tradition for us.  I want us to have more Mummy and daughter time, and some of these times will involve this Room with Roses.
 
Just me and my girl, and a room with roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think :)